Wednesday, July 8, 2009

update 3: maybe meet Obama?

We found out today that we might get to meet Obama, or at least see him, on Saturday when he is here. It will be a quick 30 minute event before he leaves, but if we can get transportation, we will be there. I'm so excited! That's all on that though, now for real updates.

We just got back from field trip, which included going to the Northern Region, kind of near where my site will be, and then to the Volta Region, where I had my vision quest. It was really fun except for the extremely long tro rides. We were the only group to not get a peace corps vehicle for travel, so we had a chartered tro driver and an interesting tro. The first day was an 11 hour ride to the Northern Region, followed by meeting two chiefs, and eating amazing chilli for the 4th of July. It was nice to see the Northern Region for the first time and get a slight taste of what it will be like. It looks more like stereotypical Africa up there, which is nice, and people are less in-your-face, which will also be nice. But, it is hotter. While there, we got to meet people from the Carter foundation who are working to eradicate guinea worm, which will be my main project. We also got to see some of the ways they are trying to prevent it, with filters and platforms to stand on while fetching water. Lastly, we played a fun football game against the local team and gave a guinea worm presentation at halftime. It was a great experience for me because I got an idea of some things that I can do at site.

We got there on Saturday, and on Monday we got back in the tro and spent about 10 hours traveling on the worst roads in Ghana to the Volta Region. I don't think my butt will ever feel the same after that trip. Once there, we met people who are working with 3 NGOs to promote family planning, empower women, teach about HIV/AIDS, prevent domestic violence, and other great things. It was also very interesting and pertinent to what we will be doing, but we were so exhausted that I kind of just wanted to get to bed. The next day, we went to a girl's site in that region and met the clinic nurse, saw dramas performed by students about pertinent health topics, and saw traditional dancing. It was a lot of fun and again gave good ideas of what we can do at site with the dramas.

Today was the last day of field trip and we spent another 9 hours 9 in the tro on the worst roads in Ghana. But, now I am in an internet cafe that is working so far and I got my phone unlocked, which I've been trying to do for a couple weeks. So, its all good. BTW, since my phone is unlocked I might have two phone numbers soon, but I'll let you know about that when the time comes.

Well, I was going to try to put pictures on here, but apparently the cafe I am at does not allow you to use a pen-drive, so I guess I'll have to try that some other time. For now I'm going to try facebook. Wish me luck.

Dagbani phrase of the day is the name of my favorite meal here, which they don't have in the north so I have to enjoy it here while I can. It is called red-red in English and is fried plantains with beans. In Dagbani it is "tuya ni boraade chimda", literally beans and plantains fried.

1 comment:

  1. I will want to ask you if you have travelled all over Ghana to come to the conclution that you travelled on the worst road in Ghana that is not true. niidarku@gmail.com Accra, Ghana

    ReplyDelete