Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Animals

I thought I should dedicate a blog post to my recent animal friends.

While we were on field trip, my mom's dog had puppies! I was waiting for this the whole time I have been here and they are soooo cute! Of course I am in love with them already and they have not even opened their eyes. They are about a week and a half old and just adorable. There are only two, and I have claimed one and my friend Elyse claimed the other. We are hoping to bring them to site when we move there. First, we are going to see if it will be appropriate during site visit (dogs aren't so popular in the north) and then we will deal with the travel problem. My mom is excited to give me one though and I am really excited that I might have a puppy to keep me company during my first lonely nights at site.

My next animal friend is one that I met this morning. I woke up at 4:45am to the sound of plastic rustling on my desk where I keep my bread. From my experience last summer in Boston, I knew some creature was eating my bread. After a few minutes of getting the guts up to find out what this creature was, I turned on the flashlight to look. I still could not tell exactly what it was through the mosquito net, but could see a creature scurrying around my desk. Another minute of guts building and I lifted my protective net and saw that it was a mouse, thank god. The mouse had no where to go and wanted to escape, so it went on the floor and ran back and forth for a minute. Then it climbed my doorway about halfway up and went splat on the floor. It was fine and did this about 5 times while I sat on my bed and watched, laughing. Then it climbed across my second bed (not the one I was on) and onto my luggage and tried to climb out the window, which was closed. This was also entertaining from my protective mosquito net covered bed. I finally decided I had to do something and went and woke up my mom and sister. They came in with big sticks chasing the mouse around the room trying to kill it but could not catch it. It was pretty hilarious to watch my sister with murder in her eyes at 5am chasing a mouse. It was still there at lunch time, but my mom assures me that she is buying poison to "kill the rat", which is actually a small, kind of cute, mouse. It was a very entertaining morning though.

No comments:

Post a Comment