Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Back to site and work

The abcess saga has come to an end. I got back to site about a week ago and you'll be very happy to know that my armpit is doing very well. However, the adjustment to life with no lights, AC, or TV was a bit of a struggle. I don't know what it is about TV, but its very addicting and can cause withdrawal when you don't have it anymore.

Luckily though, the rainy season is on its way up here, so the weather is getting a little cooler sometimes. This is also a love/hate thing for me though, cause I hope for rain everyday and when it doesn't come, which is most of the time, I am disappointed again. But, since it is coming, I am starting a garden outside my house. My counterpart has been working very hard on building a fence around the area so that goats and sheep won't come in and destroy the garden and I just bought seeds in Tamale. I bought tomato, onion, carrot, and pepper seeds and also plan to grow a little bit of corn. I'm debating buying lettuce seeds too, but we'll see how much room I have in this garden. I am also not sure that I have a green thumb. Judging by how well I took care of my Ivy plant in college (it died in a week), I might not, but I did keep couple other plants alive for my last two years of college. So, this could be really awesome or a complete failure, but either way it'll be something to do while everyone is farming in the rainy season. If any of you have good gardening advice though, please do share.

Other than that, I've been continuing with my women's group and I'm trying to work on getting the boreholes in my community fixed (we are down to 1 of 6 working). I'm also working with some people to plan a girl's leadership camp for August, which we just wrote the proposal for. It sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Thank you to everyone who has donated to my clinic so far! We have raised about $700 already and I'm told that people are still working on it at home and sending in checks. You guys are awesome, thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are back at your village. The garden does sound like a good idea, keep you busy and get fresh veggies, a win-win. The only advice I have is to weed the garden every day! Don't wait because it can get out of control fast. We just planted our garden this past weekend so we can both share our gardening victories together. We don't have corn though. Doesn't that take up a lot of room? Missing you as always, and glad to help out with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Julie,
    I am glad the arm pit is doing good.....Teddy and Tina should have some good advice for you.

    I sent your e-mail out at work and I know some people have donated to you...I also collected from myself and others at work $170.00...good job you ehwat ! As alway we miss you very-very -very-Much .. stay cool !! and healthy...
    We have no gardening advice ...Sorry..we are only good with flowers...
    Love Cindy & Ray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are doing well..All I know about gardens is they need water and that doesn't sound like a problem...today is my first day back to work and I had 207 eamil...mostly junk...at any rate you sound healthy and busy two good things..take good care I love you..Auntie.P

    ReplyDelete