Monday, August 24, 2009

Site

So, I've been at site for a few days now, and it still hasn't quite hit me that I will be there for two whole years. I like my house, especially that it is now bat free! It seems even the lizards and mice have mostly gone away. However, I do have toads now, but only outside, on my porch, and in my toilet room. So far, I have been mostly cleaning and unpacking. My house is nice and big, so there is lots to clean, but luckily there is also lots of storage space, so organizing is not so bad. My kitchen is the big project. Since I am replacing someone, there is tons of stuff in there. Also, since she moved out about a year ago, it is all filthy. I am now trying to clean all of it, set up the kitchen, and then I will get rid of stuff I don't need, which will be a lot. She had lots of random stuff, and some stuff is just gross because it sat for so long. I'm very lucky to have everything she left though, because now I don't have to buy many kitchen supplies, just a propane tank and burners. So far, I have been cooking on a coalpot, which was fun for about a day and is very old now. It takes me longer to start the fire than it does to cook most of my meals. However, I have yet to start it completely alone because a young girl, Aisha, always sees me doing it and comes and helps (and brings hot coals to help) and yesterday a high school aged boy did the whole thing for me twice. I love that people think I need help, haha.

Now, I am in Tamale, getting some big supplies I need for site. Today I bought a bike and a bunch of food, since you can barely get any food in my village. So far, my mom's package with mac n cheese and pasta sides has been a total life saver! Now I'll have real food though. Tomorrow I am going to buy the propane tank and burners and figure out some way to get it all back to my site. Should be interesting.

And here are some pictures. Sorry some are very low quality, but I was in a rush, meaning wanted to get this done in less than a few hours. Enjoy!


The front of my house, doesn't it look huge? Puumaaya is the dagbani name of the girl I'm replacing and it means happy stomach.


My porch, where I spend the majority of my time


The back of my bedroom, with a wardrobe and desk


The front of my bedroom, notice the nice mirror that was left for me


My bed, or mattress on the floor that will be taken away any day now, should get a real bed soon


My kitchen, it will be great once it is cleaned


My bathing area: no, there isn't a roof, and yes, the walls are crumbling, but it is very nice to watch the sunset as you bathe


My bucket flush toilet (don't be fooled by the useless back part), cleaned and sit-worthy


My almost useless sink, almost because there is no running water, but if I pour water in the sink it does go down the pipe to outside


Storage area in the leaky room, maybe I'll make use of it during the dry season


The canister I use to fetch water (and for now keep water in, since I don't have a water barrel)


The front of the meeting room that is in my house but anyone in the community can use (notice the missing ceiling panels where it leaks badly)


Back of the meeting room


My backyard, endless farms


Kids who visit me everyday and give endless entertainment even though I barely understand a thing they say


Cooking my first meal on my coalpot, probably the only time I was happy to use it

4 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures Julie - you're place looks great! Good luck getting everything back from town. Mere told me about your snake run in - that would have been my sign to return to the US :) You are much stronger than I am haha. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... Great pics and a very interesting journey. I'm Meredith's favorite father in-law, Don. If you say what you'd like and either you,, Meredith, Andrea, or someone else give an address to send it to, we'll send some food too. What do you like besides mac and cheese that can be sent? Love the kids picture too! Who's entertaining who?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi julie..I loved the pictures it reaaly doesn't look as bad as I thought...take good care..write when you can I love hearing from you..I'll write tonight and tell you all about my surgery...I am doing just fine now//Lot you lots..Auntie p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice place! And when you town has parties in the meeting room it's easy for you to get home! So for the toilet - you pour water in the top part, do your thing, then hit flush and it flushes to the back yard?

    ReplyDelete