Friday, August 14, 2009

Officially a PCV

Yesterday was swearing in and we are all now officially Peace Corps Volunteers! Since my last post, we had our language exams, final assessments, and final interviews. All went well for all of us. I even scored above the minimum requirement for language. All the assessments went very well and I am excited to finally be finished with training. Swearing in was a great ceremony with some good speeches, drumming and dancing, and skits from each language group. All of our homestay families were there to support us and so we could thank them for everything they did for us. It was a very nice ceremony, and very ghanaian, with dancing interludes when people had been sitting too long. Now, we are on our way up to site. It will take a few days because we stopped in Accra to get some of our things and then we have to buy a lot of things for our houses on the way. Should be an interesting next couple of weeks getting settled in and making my house into a home. Good news though, they are currently getting rid of my bats before I get there! I'm excited and nervous to get started. I'll write more next time I get on here, but don't have much time now. Hope to put pictures up soon.

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Julie I'm sooooo proud of you and still can't quite believe your done training and going to your site!! Have a great safe trip to your site. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Julie - that is great news, although I am not one bit surprised that passed all your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEYYY!! congratulations!! :)

    ~christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congragulations..I am proud of ou..of course....hope all goes well..i will be praying for you in a specail way as you get settled...love You ..Aunti P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Julie! Did you get your dog?

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO glad, you made it! The snake would have definetly been it for me, remember the spiders at my house!

    ReplyDelete