Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Things forgotten in last post

I forgot to update you all on some developments in my village and on my end of service plans.

We'll start with the village developments. For the past six months or so, UNICEF has been working in my village to mechanize our borehole. That means they installed a pump in one of the boreholes and installed pipes that lead to six polytanks spread throughout the village. They connected the pump to large solar panels to power it. So, now instead of walking like a mile to the borehole and waiting an hour in line to fetch water, the women can go to the tank closest to them in the village and fetch water there. Its closer, faster, and easier because they don't have to hand pump it either, just open the faucet. This is a great development and I'm hoping that the ease of fetching this water will encourage them to drink it too instead of the damn water which carries diseases.

Since I came to Voggu, I've been told that the village leaders were working towards opening the Voggu market. This was literally mentioned in my first meeting with the chief in August 2009. For a long time I thought it was just something they talked about and not something they'd actually achieve since the market had been closed for like thirty years. To my pleasant surprise, they opened the market about a month ago. We now have a market every six days in the field right across from my house. It's a HUGE improvement for the village. Not only does it bring income to the villagers, but it makes life so much easier now that they don't have to travel to get to a market every week.

So, since I came to Voggu, they have gotten electricity, a mechanized borehole, and a market. My replacement is going to be so lucky! And, if you all say a few prayers for my work, the clinic should be open before I leave. The district finally got their act in gear and have delivered the paint and should start painting tomorrow.

That's it for my village, not onto my returning home plans... I'm sorry to say that I will not be returning home. I didn't tell everyone, but I have had a Ghanaian boyfriend here throughout my service and I want to stay and marry him in November. We'll stay in Ghana for a few years at least and decide where to live after that.

Just kidding! I hope I tricked at least one person with that. I will officially be coming home on August 16th. I finish my service on August 3rd and will travel in Togo and Benin again before flying out. Once home, I will hightail it to Vermont and relax by the lake with some sailing and kayaking. Then, I will head back to Springfield to go to STCC and fulfill a couple prereqs before applying to grad school. I can't wait to see all of you when I get home!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait until Auntie Paula reads about your boyfriend! Seems like life for the people in Voggu has improved significantly since you got there! I hope you feel really good about how much you have helped since going there. I am very proud of you. Can't wait until you get back, Charlotte and Lauren will be waiting to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart stopped when I read about your boyfriend! Thank God you are only fooling, Paula would have a stroke. You have done a great job and so much has been accomplished since you arrived, you should feel so good. I am so proud of you and can't wait to see you. Safe trip home.

    ReplyDelete