Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mom's Visit and Life Since

As you have all heard already, Sheryl and my mom had a wonderful time while they were here (or at least I hope they were telling the truth). I was a little nervous that they would have trouble dealing with the inconveniences in Ghana, but for every ridiculous setback they put on a happy face and said "this'll make a good story". I was very happy to have them here and thoroughly enjoyed living in Ghana on an American budget for 2 weeks. However, readjusting to no AC or fans at my house was not the easiest. Since they already told most of their stories on here, I'm going to move on now.

Since they left, I hung out at site and relaxed for a while. I also went to the District Health Office and found out the reason we don't have nurses in our clinic is that the buildings are not up to par, so I hope that will be my firs big project. I also visited my friend Kim for her birthday and ate delicious chocolate cake she made for herself. I was a good friend and made her a gift bag out of the stuff my mom brought when she came. I think the crummy yo-yo was the highlight of the package.

Now, I am at in service training (IST) in Kumasi. We've been here since Sunday, having workshops all day everyday. These workshops have been very useful though and are motivating, so I hope to hit the ground running when I get back. We finally learned about funding and other projects we can do. We also have our counterparts with us, so now they have a better idea of what their role is and the things we can do. I'm excited about the new opportunities for projects.

IST is also fun because it is the first time the whole WatSan group has gotten together since training and its great to see everyone. We're having fun hanging out and coming up with t-shirt ideas to make just for fun. I personally think we have the best group of all the sectors, so this has been a really fun week. After, I'm going to visit my homestay family, which I am also excited about.

I miss all of you and hope all is well at home. Give Madelynn and William hugs and kisses for me and send lots of pictures of them, not just in email, I want pictures of babies on my wall!

No comments:

Post a Comment